Although removing milk from the breasts is the most important way to produce more breast milk, if you are looking at ways to try increase your milk production, lactation biscuits are a delicious way to go!
These biscuits are quick and simple to make, and can be modified according to your tastes. The most important ingredients for milk production in this recipe are the steel oats, brewer’s yeast and the flaxseed powder. These three ingredients are known as galactagogues – a substance that aids in promoting breast milk production. Oats are a good source of iron, and eating foods high in iron can aid in breast milk production. Brewer’s yeast and flaxseed contain phytoestrogens and iron, aiding in breast milk production.
- 2 cups steel oats
- 2 tablespoons brewer’s yeast
- 1 cup flour of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (unless self-raising flower used)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar (can omit white sugar if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 175g butter (I prefer to melt the butter)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Any additional ingredients e.g choc chips
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius and grease or line a baking tray.
- Mix the flaxseed and water in a separate small bowl. Leave this to stand for a short while.
- Melt butter and mix in the sugar, vanilla essence and eggs. Add all your dry ingredients and mix them in.
- Add the flaxseed and mix well.
- Scoop onto your baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy 😉
If you are struggling with any milk supply issues, always contact a lactation consultant for assistance and advice!